The detailed policies herein are intended to establish and document procedures that will provide guidance to Link Energy Supply Inc.’s management and accounting staff, hereinafter LE, in allocating donations made to non-profit and charitable organizations in accordance with volumes of energy flowing to customers and as directed by customers.
The Giving Budget will be calculated at the end of each calendar year based on the total amount of energy consumed by all customers combined at the time.
• $0.2 per mWh, or $2 per RCE* (equalling 10,000 kWh/annum); and
• $0.015 per GJ, or $2 per RCE* (equalling 200 GJ/annum).
Our commitment is to purchase and install as many bulbs as possible for nonprofit partners in accordance with the above formulaically driven budget. We endeavour to purchase certified bulbs as cost effectively as possible and expect costs to continually decrease as our purchasing volume increases. A portion of the budget also pays for shipping and some installation costs for a number of our nonprofit partners.
Selection of Nonprofit Partners
In accordance with the total amount of energy consumed as recorded on December 31st of each calendar year, LE will allocate its Giving Budget to chosen nonprofits. The selection criteria include, but are not limited to:
- Relevancy: We seek to focus our attention on hunger, and poverty alleviation by extension, first and foremost. Nonprofits working around this cause will be prioritized.
- Sustainability: We look to donate to lean nonprofit organizations with an efficient administrative and executive team, where a majority of donations is directed towards the provision of services.
- Locality: We seek locally staffed and led organizations that have a long-term commitment to the regions where they work.
- Reputability: We insist on working with highly regarded nonprofits that continuously play a big part in the community, day in day out, year after year.
- Neutrality: We work with nonprofits that have a broad appeal that are not directly associated with any with religious or political association.
Link Energy invites anyone, including staff, customers and investors to submit their cherished nonprofits for nomination.
We’ve decided to focus social energy on hunger. The root cause of hunger in Canada is low income, which consistently affects more than 4 million of us at any given time. Each month, over 850,000 Canadians turn to food banks for help; more than one third are children. 28% more Canadians have turned to food banks for help since 2008.
Source: Food Banks Canada, Hunger Count 2016. Available at: www.foodbankscanada.ca